New IoTaaP OS tutorials

New tutorials ideas and suggestions

@AlexsCode & @Curtis_Ireland any ideas?

Great review/tutorial:

Framework wise we need to update the Tutorials Link from the console to take us to the tutorials page. As currently It takes us to https://docs.iotaap.io/docs-tutorials/ which, as key as the out of date notice is, might be best as a directory of tutorials including the startup.

More specific tutorials we can create and work on.
I would suggest we initially look at how the competition and other platforms are demonstrating. For example: https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbed-os-example-for-aws
Or even Code | Mbed for more generic ideas.

I find Neil Kolban’s repo GitHub - nkolban/esp32-snippets: Sample ESP32 snippets and code fragments to include a very expansive range of usecases from his book. We could take some of these and adapt them to show simple but expansive features of ESP32 and how they can be run in synergy with IoTaap OS.

I’ve been working with Mbed, and they have a whole platform for their examples repository, I think that would require extensive development.

Btw. thanks for the Neil Kolban’s repository, nice source of snippets!

Just checked Mbed examples and I have to agree with @petclany21, they have a whole platform for tutorials and examples. Something similar is our https://docs.iotaap.io/ page.

Examples should be available on GitHub (either under the examples directory of the IoTaaP OS or as a separate repository), and based on that, tutorials can be created.

General idea of this topic is to gain suggestions about topics that should be covered by tutorials or examples in the future.

I’m sorry, I don’t think I explained that quite the best, I was suggesting to look at which examples others find most critical or in demand, allowing us to create our own.

Currently IoTaaP has a great tutorial library. Covering basics on a lot of the platform. I was more suggesting we could contrast to see which of Examples others have which is yet to be added for IoTaaP.

@petclany21 He has also written a free to download book - Kolban's book on ESP32 by Neil Kolban [Leanpub PDF/iPad/Kindle]
Which explains in depth.

I think the current tutorials are very good for a basic use case, will spend some time researching and thinking what other examples we could add or develop on the tutorials further.

In regards to specifics,
A Deep/Light Sleep Tutorial would be of benefit, as an expansion to whats covered under MISC.

I understand IoTaap is currently working on a LTE board, however a tutorial in using the platform to send SMS, / Incorporate GPS/GPRS would add alot of additional use cases.

RTC or Time Elapsed related tutorial.

After some thought on the matter, What do you think of creating a Heart rate sensor add-on module?
It should still be a fairly simple design to incorporate onto a addon board, only really requires photo-resistors and accompaniments. SFH7060 For Instance or BH1792GLC This would allow to create a heart rate detecting tutorial. Which I think would be a very good first tutorial for schools/ universities. As you can directly see the results and its interactive. @igolubic Any Thoughts? I can personally look into it in more depth next week if you like the proposal.

P.S. Let me know if best practise is to create a new thread for this going forward.

Hi @AlexsCode,
The main goal of the tutorials is to show how IoT features of the system can be used. Currently, there is no plan to develop and produce additional Add-on modules.

Planned tutorials are for example:

• handling received JSON in the MQTT callback using IoTaaP OS
  • Preparing and publishing RAW data
  • Controlling outputs based on the received data from the cloud
  • Manual update trigger
  • Using custom parameters from the SD card

Currently, the main example of the IoTaaP OS implements all functions that are available, but the goal is to create a separate tutorial for each to make it easier for understanding.

But generally, all suggestions like Hearth rate monitor can be considered in the future.

1 Like

I see.
You are effectively looking for suggestions on the best way to break down the included example code into smaller bitesized chunks to help learner progression.

I think explaining the different Publishes to MQTTS and the path required, for instance for Params/device publish would be of merit

4 Likes